The original Elmhurst estate consisted of over 350 acres, with the first hall being built in 1683 and subsequently demolished in 1806, with a second hall being constructed in 1808 by its new owner. In 1922 the hall and estate was sold to a syndicate who divided up the estate and again demolished the hall.
A few remnants of the estate remain today, including the associated 1 acre walled garden, along with gate lodge, originally built in 1875 which has remained largely in tact and unspoilt. The recent and current owners of The Lodge fell for its charm and setting and set about creating a new chapter for its future. The brief was to leave as much of the existing cellular layout as possible and not interfere too much withs its plan or original fabric.
In order to make The Lodge suitable for modern day living, it needed a significant sized extension against its original footprint across both storeys, therefore, taking this into account along with the requirement to not interfere with the integrity of the existing house, posed a challenge.
With The Lodge encompassing a wealth of masonry detailing that would have once echoed the original grand hall of the estate, rather than try and emulate the Victorian aesthetic, it was felt that a clear light-weight intervention was needed by way of extending the property. This resulted in a glazed pavilion like structure that would house a open kitchen-dining space onto the garden.
To bring in a sense of craft to the new structure, contemporary joinery including a hit-and-miss timber cladding and screen has been included, as well as a canopy and colonnade which echoes the original entrance. The first floor extension which includes a new bedroom suite, gently slots in between the existing roofscape and adopts a homogenous clay tile gable form.